National Scholarship Portal (NSP) is a digital scholarship programme which carries multiple scholarships and is taken as Mission Mode Project under National e-governance Plan. Currently, the portal has 9 participating ministry or departments and 21 registered schemes. The NSP (National Scholarship Portal) hosts about 50 scholarships worth hundreds of crores among the scholarship seekers who are registered under this platform. It has been reported by officials that the platform has so far helped government implement and disburse scholarships worth more than 2000 crores of rupees. The platform has also verified 105lakh applications so far out of the 125 lakh applications.
In this article -
- 1 Benefit of National Scholarship Portal
- 2 NSP – Reason for creating this portal
- 3 National Scholarship Portal- Benefits of Students
- 4 National Scholarship Portal Scholarships it covers are:
- 5 Step by step application process in National Scholarship Portal (How to register with National Scholarship Portal)
- 6 One can apply through Mobile App in NSP
Benefit of National Scholarship Portal
The benefit of NSP is that it is Simplified, Mission-oriented, Accountable, Responsive and Transparent system for effective and faster disposal of scholarships. Other benefits of the portal are:
- All information of scholarship could be find in one platform
- A single integrated application for all scholarships can be made which simplifies the application process.
- The portal renders enhanced transparency to all its users
- The master data of all courses and institutions at an all India level could be found in one single platform
- The portal also serves as a great tool for departments and ministries in the form of Decision Support System (DSS)
NSP – Reason for creating this portal
The reasons for creating the portal are as follows:
- To ensure that the scholarships are being disbursed to students on the timely basis.
- To offer a common platform for both Central and State Government scholarship.
- To create a transparent scholars’ database.
- To avoid duplication that occurs while processing the applications.
- To harmonize the variety of scholarships and their norms.
- To ensure the application of DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer).
National Scholarship Portal- Benefits of Students
- Check the eligibility for the NSP scholarships available.
- Register yourself with National Scholarship Portal and apply for the scholarship you are eligible for.
- Make hassle-free submission of application online.
- The authorities will do the verification of the online application. Meanwhile, you can also track the status of your application through the portal.
- If successfully verified, the scholarship amount will be directly credited to the account of the student through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT). Know the current status of NSP scholarship payment through the portal.
National Scholarship Portal Scholarships it covers are:
- Central schemes
- UGC schemes
- AICTE schemes
- State schemes
National Scholarship Portal – Central Schemes
Various departments which are operating under the Central Government runs a number of scholarships to help the students pursue their dream career without any financial constraint. Many students have to give up their studies due to poor financial condition and to give them better opportunities, these schemes have been introduced for the students.
The renowned providers in the realm of scholarships include the Ministry of Minority Affairs (MOMA), Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJE), Ministry of Labour and Employment (MLE), Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MTA), Department of Higher Education (DHE) and more.
Students can apply for all scholarships that are being offered by the central government through National Scholarship Portal under the Central Schemes section.
UGC Schemes under National Scholarship Portal
The University Grants Commission (UGC) is a prominent statutory body of Indian government functioning under MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development). It has been set up with an objective to coordinate, determine and maintain the standards of higher education in India. It is the authority that offers recognition to universities across India and also provides them with funds. Besides this, the UGC also offers some scholarship schemes for students pursuing college-level education and one can avail this scheme through National Scholarship Portal.
AICTE Schemes under National Scholarship Portal
Unlike the UGC AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) functions under the Department of Higher Education, MHRD. Operating since 1945 in technical and professional courses and also in the graduate level. AICTE looks after the coordinated development and proper planning for both technical as well as management education systems in India. Despite offering approval to postgraduate and undergraduate programs under specified categories, AICTE also offers a number of scholarships for students to ensure that financial constraint does not become a blocking stone in their professional career.
State Schemes under National Scholarship Portal
Just like the central government, the state government also offers scholarships for students who are a domicile of that respective state. While many state governments operate their own scholarship portal for applications, some prefer inviting applications through the National Scholarship Portal. At present, the national scholarship portal covers state schemes of 6 different states namely, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Tripura, Karnataka, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh.
Step by step application process in National Scholarship Portal (How to register with National Scholarship Portal)
In order to stay advantaged with the scholarships mentioned above, you need to register yourself on NSP through Student Login. What are the steps to be followed to apply for a scholarship? Well! Here is a step-by-step description of how you can apply for an NSP scholarship through national scholarship portal –
Step 1: Registering with National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
- All fresh users need to visit the Home Page of National Scholarship Portal to register. [Click Here]
- Click on ‘New Registration’.
- A page of Guidelines for Registration on NSP will open.
- Go through the guidelines carefully.
- Click on ‘Continue’ to proceed.
- Fill in all required details.
- Click on ‘Register’.
- You will receive a student application ID and password on your registered mobile number.
Step 2: Logging in with National Scholarship Portal
- Click on the login button to start scholarship application.
- Enter the application ID and password received on your registered number.
Step 3: Change the password (A mandatory step)
- Upon successful login, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Verify the OTP.
- You will be directed to change the password page.
- Change the password and continue.
Step 4: Enter the Dashboard
- Once the password is changed, you will be directed to Applicant’s Dashboard Page.
- Click on ‘Application Form’ to start the application.
- Fill in all registration details, academic details and basic details.
- Click on ‘Save & Continue’.
- Add contact details, scheme details and upload necessary documents.
- Click on ‘Save as Draft’ (To confirm if you have entered correct information)
- Once confirmed, click on ‘Final Submit’ button.
Necessary information needed for NSP
- Name of the Applicant
- Date of Birth
- Religion Code
- Category Code (SC/ST/OBC ETC.)
- Disability Flag
- Mobile Number
- Email Address
- Aadhar number
- Aadhar Enrolment Number (If one do not have aadhar)
- Aadhar Enrolment Date (In case no aadhar card)
- Branch IFSC Code
- Bank Account Number
- Name of Mother
- Name of Father
- Annual Family Income
- Domicile State
- Domicile District
- Ministry Code
- Scholarship/Fellowship Name
- Scheme- Specific Unique Id 22 starting year of scholarship
- Duration of Scholarship (In years)
- DISE/AISHE Code
- School/College State
- School/College District
- School/College Name
- Scholarship Category (Pre/Post Metric)
- Current Course Name
- Scholarship Amount Transferred
- Scholarship Payment Date
- Fund Transfer Method
- PFMS Scheme Code
- PFMS Beneficiary ID
One can apply through Mobile App in NSP
With the digitalisation process in the Government of India has launched its ‘National Scholarship Portal Mobile App’ in the year 2018 to make scholarship application easier and more convenient for the students. Now-a-days youths are more comfortable with mobile application and to make things easier the mobile app of NSP has been launched. The students can download and install the mobile app through the Google Play Store on their respective mobile devices. Also, there is an availability of NSP mobile app in the ‘UMANG’ app launched by the government earlier. So, if you already have the UMANG app installed on your mobile devices, you can start applying for the scholarships too by registering at NSP mobile app. The app covers end to end services of the National Scholarship Portal. You can not only get access to NSP scholarships but also apply for them in just a few simple steps.