World Geography is an important part of the UPSC, APSC and other competitive examinations. Every year a few questions from this section are asked in those examinations. Hence, it is necessary for the aspirants to study the World Geography section thoroughly. Here we have presented twenty questions of this section which will be helpful for candidates preparing for different competitive examinations.
1. What is the percentage of oxygen in the earth’s crust?
2. Name the country which is known as the “Land of Morning Clam”?
(b) South Korea
3. The Largest continent in the world is
(b) North America
4. Maoris is used for the original people of
(b) South Africa
(c) New Zealand
5. Pampas grassland are situated in parts of
6. United Arab Emirates is made of-
(a) five Sheikhdoms
(b) six Sheikhdoms
(c) seven Sheikhdoms
(d) eight Sheikhdoms
7. Which one of the following pairs of countries and capitals is wrongly matched?
8. What is the precise time taken by the earth for one rotation?
(a) 24 hours
(b) 24 hours and 30 minutes
(c) 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.09 seconds
(d) 24 hours 5 minutes and 5.02 seconds
9. Which of the following statements is not correct?
(a) Of all the African countries Nigeria has the highest population.
(b) The river Rio Grande is situated in the North America.
(c) The only dependent territory in Europe is Gibraltar.
(d) California has temperate maritime climate.
10. Most of the World’s wheat producing regions have-
(a) more than 1500 mm rainfall.
(b) less than 300 mm rainfall.
(c) very high rainfall.
(d) less than 1000 mm rainfall.
11. Identify the correct sitting of islands in Japan-
(c) Hokkaido-Honshu- Shikoku-Kyushu
12. Blind Valleys are found in
(a) Karst region
(b) Glaciated region
13. In which region was the first oil well drilled in 1859?
(a) Leningrade in Rusia
(b) Digboi in India
(c) Titusville in USA
(d) Abadan in Middle East
14. Which of the following types of coal has the highest heating capacity?
15. Rocks are classified on basis of what characteristics?
(a) Origin and age
(b) Composition & texture
(d) None of the above
16. Emu the largest running bird after the Ostrich is found in
(a) South Africa
(b) South America
(c) New Zealand
17. Ocean currents primarily caused by
(a) Difference in temperature
(b) Wing blowing over the sea surface
(c) Irregular shape of the continents
(d) Difference on salinity
18. The strait that connects the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean?
(a) Hormuz Strait
(b) Barring Strait
(c) Dover Strait
(d) Gibraltar Strait
19. Which one of the following is not a country of west coast of Africa?
20. The North Atlantic Ocean Route is very busy with heavy traffic because
(a) It is open to all weather and is the safest.
(b) It is the oldest route known to man.
(c) It connects two industrial advanced region of the world.
(d) The Gulf Stream helps the movement of ships thereby reducing the coast.